On the 29th of November 2012, we did a job for Mrs. Liz Reynolds. We did various jobs for Mrs. Reynolds. We changed two fancy light fittings, one in her laundry room and one in her living room. We found that she had a faulty smoke alarm too. We replaced this with a brand new one that has a 10 year service warranty, this one is better than having to replace the battery in her old alarm annually.
Miss Reynolds also had a problem with her lights in her bathroom, they were always blinking and blowing. We changed her lights with energy-saving LED bulbs. These bulbs use less electricity, making them very efficient and they also release little heat, meaning they are less dangerous in regards to causing a fire. We also installed heat hood on it. The heat hood provides extra protection from objects near the bulbs; the hood diffuses the heat evenly, preventing fire. The transformer we installed with the LED bulbs work with both halogen and LED. So, if in the future, she decides to change the type of globe the transformer will easily allow her to make these changes.
Mrs. Reynolds had a complaint of occasional sparks coming out of her light switch and lights that would sometimes not turn on. This is deffinantly not right and should be looked at immedaitly as a safety concern. After looking at the switch, I found out that the switch was really not working. There wires were not in contact properly causing a hot joint which is the very early stages of an electrical fire. This is the cause why the lights won’t turn on every time and why there were sparks.
After carrying out that free safety inspection on Mrs. Reynolds’ property, we found out that she needed an upgrade of the main switch. At the moment, she has the old box-type simple on off style isolarting switch, but the new regulation would require using the circuit-breaker type. Circuit breakers protyect the cable from overloading and burning out the lines coming in from the street. So, in case the household starts to draw more current, the circuit breaker would trip, preventing any overload.
Also, we found out that the main earth fittings of her electrical system at the house were supplied by plumbing pipes; however, this is no longer allowed in new regulations for safety reasons. So we recommended and installed an earth stake to provide a much better earth that complies with the current regulations.
Also, we found that a switch in her bathroom had a crack. We called the attention of Mrs. Reynolds and told her that its a good idea to replace the switch soon as in extreme circumstances it can lead to electrical shock. Someone with wet hands may touch it or the moisture in the air can cause an electrical shock.
After we finished our job, Mrs. Reynolds answered the customer survey. Here are her ratings:
- Technician, neatness and cleanliness : 4/5
- Courtesy and professionalism: 4/5
- Work area condition and cleanup: 4/5
- Overall satisfaction: 4/5
Also she mentioned that she called us up because of our availability and we were so fast to respond. She also said that she will recommend us to other people. Lastly, she noted that it was great to have a professional electrician do the job for her and checking for safety made her much more comfortable ain her home.