- On-time Guarantee
- Upfront Quotes
- Per Job, Not Per Hour
- Save with Offers
- Professional Electricians
- Red Carpet Service
- Friendly and Helpful
- 24 hours, 7 days
- Great Sydney Service
IN AN EMERGENCY CALL 000
Smoke from a home fire is toxic, only early warning can assist in giving your family vital time to escape a smoke filled room. Also, when asleep you will not smell the smoke from a fire and the smoke will actually put you into a deeper sleep. A smoke alarm can provide the early warning you need and is the critical first step in your home fire safety plan.
New legislation now requires smoke alarms to be installed in all residential properties. We use and recommend 240V alarms with a back up battery. We can supply and Install 1 alarm for $132 or 2 or more for $105 each.
Book you installation today and recieve a free fire safety plan, compliance certificate and safety report.
Cheaper alarms are available from your local hardware but buyer beware some alarms require a new battery more than once a year.
You can find many different types of DIY smoke alarms from your local hardware. Whatever type you choose to use we recommend that:
- Every house or home unit has a suitable number of working smoke alarms installed.
- There should be smoke alarms on every level of your home. Install them between any place a fire may start (ie kitchen, garage) and any room where a person may sleep(ie bedrooms or TV room), for reduced false alarms install them closer to the sleeping areas in hallways ect…
- Only Australian Standards # 3786 approved alarms should be used.
- Hard wired alarms must be fitted by a qualified electrician.
- Smoke alarms must be installed according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Check the manufacturers instructions before you purchase as some of them don’t last long and are in constant need of new batteries. Choose an alarm with a good warranty.
- All smoke alarms should be tested regularly and at least monthly.
- You should replace the battery in each smoke alarm at least once a year. Be careful when purchasing battery operated alarms as some of the cheaper ones only have a life of 12 months. Hard wired alarms have a 5-10yr life and the batteries can last for up to 5 or more years. The alarms that we use have a 5 year manufacturers warranty for your piece of mind.
- Alarms should be replaced as recommended because they have a limited lifespan.
- To be effective smoke alarms must be cleaned regularly. Just run a vacuum over it.
- Interconnected alarms which will activate at the same time should be considered if you have children.(extra charges apply from $55)
So if you have an older home that has regular electrical faults then the sooner you get your home rewired the better. I usually say that if ain’t broke don't fix it... but if you are worried about the risk of fire and electrocution then you are better safe than sorry. I have heard that some home insurance policies are void if old wiring is found to be the cause of a fire.
My usual recommendations are to install smoke alarms and get an electrical property safety report from us. The report will give you peace of mind that your wiring is safe and we can give you a quote for a rewire and switchboard upgrades if they are required.
What else should you do to make your home fire safe?
- You need to have a plan which covers what to do when the smoke alarm goes off and warns you of a fire.
- Your household should prepare a written escape plan and practise it regularly.
- Heavy sleepers such as children or those affected by alcohol or drugs may not be woken by the sound of the alarm. Make sure this contingency is covered in your home escape plan.
More smoke alarm safety tips:
- Remember that smoke from a fire will make you confused and that you cannot see in smoke.
- If you have escaped from a home fire, remember once you get out stay out and dial 000
- Let your children master fire escape planning and practice before holding a fire escape drill
- If a family member has hearing or mobility problems ensure that these are taken into account and ifnecessary that someone is assigned to help them escape
- Home fire safety is important for the whole family and preparation can prevent tragedy.
- Click here to book your installation today and recieve a free fire safety plan, compliance certificate and safety report.